Big Bang Theory wasn't as funny as I expected it to be. I kinda saw through the whole fanboy-actor fan service idea and the B-story was almost insulting somehow. Eh.
White Collar, though, was better than I expected, although I'm still wondering how the series will unfold. It reminds me of Leverage and Burn Notice and Neal feels like if Barney Stinson and Shawn Spencer merged.
Onto the point of this post. I cleaned out my computers recently and picked up a few tricks and software along the way, so I thought I'd share a few links. I tracked down two Windows equivalents to two Mac-only apps, although try those at your own risk since I haven't (obviously) tested them. Most of them are shareware, but I haven't run into anything besides reminders to pay.StickyWindows
- Back in the days of Mac OS 9 you could turn your windows into tabs along the bottom of your screen and every now and then I'd still catch myself trying to do this. So now there's an app that brings it back! It keeps my desktop cleaner, while still keeping the windows I need right there.DiskInventoryX
- Scans and then presents the contents of your hard drive in a graphical way, so you can see where the space hogs are hiding.
* Windows: WinDirStat
- NEAT MAINTENCE UTILITY. It's gold to have, trust me.
* Windows: RoboBasketOnyX
- Runs maintenance tasks, clears out log files, deleted orphaned files-- all in all, it helps un-bloat your system.AppCleaner
- Generally Macs don't use uninstallers, but sometimes things get orphaned if you just throw out the application (preferences, log files, etc.) There's also AppZapper and AppDelete, but AppCleaner doesn't have restrictions on its free-ness. XDiScreensaver
- Make your own screensaver! Available for Mac and Windows. (I'm using this
ripped by File2HD.com
- Turn any Quicktime file into a screensaver. I used to use this to play movie trailers before, but I don't download trailers much anymore. Every now and then I'll be obnoxious and set a Weebl's video on there.FadeText
- Displays any text as a screensaver. For a while I had filled this with Shoebox quotes, and then I had the lyrics to "Do You Want To Know A Secret?" by The Beatles. :)